11.25.2017

how to make dried citrus garland

i'm going back and forth this year on whether or not I want to spend the time and money to put up a tree. We don't have kids and we aren't doing gifts. But I have to put a little somethin' around the house or I'll just be a sad Christmas mess. So today I broke out my Christmas trunk and strung a few strands of Christmas lights on my bull skull's horns and I strung them up along our bar cart, too. last year was the first year in a while that I decorated for Christmas. Andrew had either just moved in or was about to, and I kept the tree theme super natural, handmade, and cheap. I loved it! So this year, I wanted to keep the same idea alive and saw a few examples of dried orange garlands. I ran out and bought two oranges and one grapefruit. It ended up being enough garland to go around the bar cart and what I'm affectionately calling my fake fireplace mantel- the piano. So here's how to make your own! The process is long, but the steps are easy!

you'll need: 
// citrus fruits! I used oranges and grapefruit, but limes and lemons are gorgeous , too.
// knife
// sprinkles of sugar or nutmeg (this is optional, I did a few and wasn't in love with the result)
// paper towel
// cookie sheet, wax paper, cooling rack
// needle and thread 
1. start by setting your oven at 200 degrees.
2. while the oven heats, slice your fruits about a 1/4" thick.
3.  blot the juice out with paper towel.  
4. line your cookie sheet with wax paper, and arrange your fruits.
5. bake for one whole freaking hour.
6. flip them over.
7. bake for another whole freaking hour.
8. let cool on cookie sheet for about a day (seriously)
9. once your pieces are done, lay them out to get an idea of how long to cut your string.
10. pierce through the rind of the pieces,where it's thickest/strongest.
11. pierce back through to the other side.
12. slide them down the string, adjust widths however you see fit, and string them up with pride!! 
a couple of bucks well spent! And the house smells pretty dreamy too!! 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Love JD. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig