10.29.2017

the ultimate sleeping aid: ASMR

Raise your hand if you've ever traveled down your own personal YouTube rabbit hole? Watching enough "up next" videos that you can see the sun rising behind your cell phone screen. And you finally take a good, long internal look at yourself and think "what in the hell is wrong with me!?" Okay, put your hands down. Now, raise your hand if you have done this and then stumbled upon a video that changed your world (*my hand is flying proud!) what a glorious experience!It started with a late night of not being able to sleep. I watched a few videos of Ellen reruns and top movie bloopers. (Titanic. You guys shoulda caught some of those mess ups) Then I started watching makeup tutorial videos. (Contouring. I respect you, but I just don't get you)

Maybe 30 minutes later, somehow, I was in a new magical corner of YouTube and I was being greeted by whispering voices and tranquil music. I had stumbled upon channel after channel about ASMR, autonomous sensory meridian response. In ten words or less, it can basically be summed up as getting a tingly feeling (usually starting at your scalp and traveling down your spine) due to good endorphin feels. I have experienced this plenty of times and I had basically just never realized that 1. It had a name and 2. I thought we were all experiencing it! But, after looking into it a little bit, ASMR is not something everyone experiences. For example, I can go to get my fingernails painted at a nail salon and see someone from across  the room getting a pedicure. I instantly get that same good and tingly feeling down my back and arms and will want a nap. The same thing would happen if I watched someone get their hair washed or brushed at a salon. But like I said, I thought we were all getting these feelings so why discuss it?

And then I find these videos on YouTube and I was over the moon. It was a long and pretty straight forward video that showed one long continuous shot of a girl sitting directly in front of the camera. A girl stood behind her and brushed her hair. And that was it. That was the whole video. I sat and watched one stranger brush another stranger's hair for roughly 20 minutes and afterward I felt like I needed to go confess to a priest. But then, night after night, these videos became the best sleep aid I had ever tried. Within 10 to 20 minutes every night I would be passed out, knocked out, and drooling. I'm linking a few of my favorite sleepy time videos below and if you're feeling up to it, try them out tonight! plug in your headphones for the ultimate experience... And let me know if you're equally a little bit crazy!
 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Love JD. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig