2.14.2017

my best friend, the welder

for years, people thought that Jon and I were nuts for continuing to live together after we broke up. A little background for anyone new to this little corner of the internet- Jon and I dated for 2.5 years, split up on my birthday 3 years ago (no seriously, we broke up on my birthday. looking back, it's funny. but that night was pretty terrible) and since we had a spare bedroom (and let's be honest, we both loved our apartment) Jon basically just moved down the hall. We continued to remain the best of friends for years and while there were times that our dynamic made little to no sense, I don't regret much of it. (for the first year after breaking up, we didn't have new boyfriends or girlfriends over. This rule ended when Jon brought home a girl that we later hosted a holiday dinner with. Both mine and Jon's families and his new girlfriend... all sitting around a holiday table. Worst idea ever. To say I drank that night would be the understatement of the year!) Our story raises a lot of eyebrows but I've never been one to lead much of a conventional life so why wouldn't I live with my x boyfriend for years? We shared the bills, talked about most everything, stayed close with each other's families and have remained friends through everything life has thrown our way. he's my go-to person when I need someone to be brutally honest with me, in a gentle yet stern way. When you can rely on a person to tell you when you are in the wrong and when you need to straighten up, it's nice.

I've watched Jon slowly blossom for years, finding his place in this city as an amazing bartender and someone that people recognize most anywhere. He's known for having a great personality, knowing how to make a great drink, and making his bars a fun place to be. So when he told me a few months back that he would be taking on a new field alongside his dad, I nearly fell over. I would be scared out of my mind to leave what I know and venture into a new world of things to learn so I gotta give the guy credit. Jon is still bartending but in what little spare time he has, he's working alongside his dad and learning the ropes of welding. His dad does some of the most beautiful work locally, as well as all over the country, and you've surely passed by a railing or stairway that his hands built. It's so cool to know that Jon is working on these projects now, too. I love to document anything, so when Jon invited me to come down to his dad's shop to shoot a little bit, I was more than happy to come by. I'm glad he has a few photos of himself starting this new journey and I want to leave them on here for safe keeping. So proud of you, Jon! and let me know when I can expect my new bookshelf! 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Love JD. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig